Medicaid recipients on the Patient 1st program may change their personal doctor (also called a primary medical provider) at any time.
Changes that are made before the 15th of the month will be effective on the first day of the month after the change is made.
Changes made after the 15th of the month will become effective first day of the second month after the change is made. Recipients who need help to change PMPs should call 1-800-362-1504.
- Not all doctors who accept Medicaid participate in the Patient 1st Program.
- Some doctors accept only certain age ranges (i.e., a pediatrician may only accept children age 0-14).
- The doctor you pick must see patients from your county AND have an opening.
- Because some physicians may have only a certain number of Patient 1st patients, you may need to have a second choice.
- If you have any questions, or do not know what to do, call 1-800-362-1504 for help.
- Note to Providers: The patient must give consent before a PMP change can be made